RE: Who's on the forefront of loopmuse?

It aint Prodigy nor is it Photek and its not Babyface.

It walks a lot of lines but its more a less quirky & groove oriented PoP
>from an African American Perspective that's perhaps more flexible than
folks might initially imagine.

My group is called Akash - just me and whoever I can get to collaborate. I
live in Downtown Philly.

I play guitar, bass and some keys. but Im more of a beat Looper and
arranger more than anything else these days.

I run an ASR 10 w/ 16megs ram 273 seconnds of sample time !! More than I
ever end up using !! The ASR  has a lot of Great and edit friendly effects
builtin too - just no rom based samples.

I usually make my own samples from either the guitar & bass that I run
thru 2 Zooms MEP's - the 505 w/vol/exp controller and the 508 w/ a stereo
split sent to a Mackie 1202 then rerun thru a Boss Rack Mount Delay that I
cant seem to remember the name of... The DE 2 or somethin ???

I pull WAV files of the Net from free dwnload sites for other preset
tones.

I have not really had the need to steal beats or use Sample Disc's. (
Though Im in no ways against doing that - its fun to try and create or
duplicate a sound you like on your own because often it takes you and your
music in a different direction than what it initially was you thought you
needed. Often times I come up with sounds I like better than the one I
wanted to sample - Its just very time consuming but worth every ounce of
scrutiny ya put into it )

I do ok with the rythms (spelling?? ) I make just sequencing them as I go
along and Loooping them endlessly at some points adding effects or
sometimes just going with a dry sound.

I use Cakewalk as a Sequencer and record straight to hard disk. Ive been
saving and dreaming of The VS-880 w/ cd burner and add on effects board .
After taxes this yr one of those chumpys is gonna be in my hands.

No amps, just PA Speakers ASR - It's a product more associated with DJ's
than flesh and Blood musicians but They sound great ( They're not Ensoniq
products)

I try to keep things simple but expressive and groveful ( Mantra - All
effort goes into da groove out of it and back again! ) and somewhat
engaging from an hopefully original perspective.

I also try to have a sense of restraint with just enuff room for chaos to
sneak in every now and then.

I always loved the Frippy Stuff, Crimson, ENO, Phillip Glass and Laurie
Anderson along with LTD, Eath Wind and Fire and Weater Report and Mingus
and The Sugarhill Gang - and The Sex Pistols
Growing up in the 80's - it was all natural.

I was drawn to the site for reasons concerning tech, Musical inspiration,
expansion of influencesall across the board.

I aint no star. The odds are agianst me in that area. But who says I cant
do what I need to do and exist and perhaps thrive and enjoy life.

That's what I do.

JP