Re: Sharing moments...

- somebody wrote :

> I then realized to try to get deeper into
> being an improvisor it would help to be able to study a tradition in
>which
> improvising was integral.  Granted, there's many great traditions like
>this
> all over the world, but being an American we have a great one right here
>that
> I could sink my teeth into, so I took a roughly 15-year detour into
>studying
> and playing jazz as much as possible.
>
> Not to say that I've even come close to mastering that particular idiom,
>but
> after studying what jazz has to offer in terms of harmonic improvisation,
> melodic development, free improvising, standard song forms, blues forms,
>etc.,
> in the last few years I've found the road diverging again, where I'm
>realizing
> that my loyalty to jazz is as a vehicle or method for improvisation, not
> preservation or expanding of the jazz tradition, as much as I respect
>it.  I'm
> an improvisor first, jazz musician second.

++++++++++++++

- Sounds like a pretty good description of a "jazz musician" . . . (the
15 years were well spent ) !

- Jazz, like any other lineage, is merely the wake of the boat . . .

- your frustration with:

++++++++++++++

 >what seemed to be a willful disdain for knowing what the fuck you were
doing which was sorta part & parcel of the times in the avant-rock world
or so it seemed.

++++++++++++++

- is very astute . . . and your choice of research vehicle, likewise. .
.

- the so-called "primitive" early american (probably early-anywhere)
painters also experienced this . . . their paintings had no 3-d ness - -
- something is in the distance, put it higher on the page , etc.- - -
until they saw paintings with PERSPECTIVE . . . then they had to
"pretend to be primitive" to produce the same results -

- making a study of a form where each performance has to be NEW, USEFUL,
and DIFFERENT  (aslo the definition of patentability) has potentially
life changing effects.

       http://www.fredmarshall.com

ps - i have no clue as to what you play , but i have a feeling that if
you drag your stuff to the nearest place that will allow you to, and
"just do it", that i will.