Graphic Notation

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998 TritoneDW@aol.com wrote:

>  This got me wondering about a good way to notate it for future refernce
>or
>  performance. Anybody know of work being done in loop notation?
>  Reg
>   >>
> Funny, I've been thinking about this too, as I'm in the process of
>composing
> some music for electric guitar, one movement of which will be looped. I'm
> thinking of some sort of graphical notation. I've played pieces which
>are made
> up of cells of music, to be played ad lib ( Like "In C" by TERRY RILEY
>:-) )
> or Leo Brouwer guitar etude #20. One could use the same sort of idea for
>loop
> notation--graphically define the boundery of the loop, punch in points,
>etc.
> You would probably have several representations as the loop was built,
>sort of
> like several sections of repeats in standard notation. Does this make any
> sense at all? I have a strong idea about how to do this, but it's nearly
> impossible to describe this in e-mail. Feel free to e-mail me privately,
>if
> you like.
> Anyone else ever done this?
> Drew W.

Hello,
 You might want to check out a couple books on graphic notation.  These
are somewhat dated but very informative and helpful for anyone using this
type of notation.

  New Music - A Guide to Notational Signs for Contemporary Music
By Howard Risatti published by the University of Illinois Press
  Notation in New Music   By Erhard Karkoschka
published by Praeger Publishers.

These have some great examples and helped me a lot when I was notating a
piece I wrote for electric guitar and tape. These books don't have any
specific loop orientated notation but many of the ideas could be adapted
to loop type music.
                Doug Michael

        http://www.ccnet.com/~dmic27