Re: looping as sin

At 13:33 -0800 2/10/98, Paolo Valladolid wrote:
> > have their one instrument and know it inside out.  However, with synth
> > players the sounds are only as good as long as the synth is in vogue -
>how
> > many players (besides Eno) have decided to say "right, I've got a DX7
>(or
> > whatever), and I'm going to get everything I can from it."
>
> Pat Metheny has been using the same GR300 synth for about 15-17 years.

more on this in my reply to Michael

> Interesting that someone said that synths just go "plonk".  What
>interests
> me about synths are those sounds that can be sustained indefinitely while
> having their timbre altered in various ways.

I said that unprocessed guitars and keyboards (I should have said pianos)
go "plonk".  Sustained sounds that _don't_ change their timbre are the
worst.  (Does one have to hate one's instrument before being able to
transcend it? :)  )  But yes, finding ways to modulate sustained sounds is
very cool.

Doug

---
Doug Wyatt                     Sonosphere - music and music software
doug@sonosphere.com            http://www.sonosphere.com/