Yesterday's loops continue to feed back.

----------
From: Wordsman, Lee
To: Wordsman, Lee
Subject: RE:  Kim Flint <kflint@annihilist.com>:  Re: What does a
Echo-plex cost?
Date: Friday, February 13, 1998 1:57PM

I misposted this yesterday.  It may not be as topical as it seemed
yesterday but anyway - - -

Having just come in from the car where I was listening to some early
Police while drooling over my newly purchased RDS 4000 (unfortunately, I
couldn't swing the cash for the 8000 recently posted), I find these two
posts an interesting jumping in point.  I haven't listened to that much
loop oriented material although recent postings have led me to listen to
Praxis, Laswell, Chemical Brothers, Digable Planets and Fripp's "A
Blessing of Tears".  I find most of the material interesting, however, I'm
still drawn back to Crimson, Police, Bowie and Fripp recordings of the
late 70's and early 80's.  There seems to be an interesting interplay
between the looper and the loop ( from a guitar perspective) that I
haven't found in more recent material.  My interest in listening to this
older music (which I grew up with) is renewed as I try to understand what
role looping (or at least recurring delayed samples) played in the overall
recording.  I don't know of anyone playing like that now.  !
If there is please enlighten me as I'm always looking to hear new and
interesting sounds.

My interest in looping begain when I started listening to music by the
police and crimson that wasn't necessarily loop oriented but presented a
guitarist playing against a delayed section of music.  That led to
listening to early solo Fripp and Eno where you could hear the loop evolve
and devolve over time.  I realize that this is all subjective but I'm more
interested and moved by what No Pussyfooting, or League of Gentlemen
albums than "A Blessing of Tears".  A Blessing of Tears is a fine work of
art but from a looping standpoint I can't tell if it is a loop or not.
Partly because he's using so much treatment on his sounds but partly
because I miss the feeling of the loop building over time.

I'm rambling now.

I'm frustrated that I'm not really adding anything more to this thread
than to say "Damn but the early guitar oriented loopers really made some
intensely interesting music that I enjoy even to this day."    sometimes
you just got to say what you feel.

Finally, I can't recall who recently mentioned that we haven't even
scratched the surface of looping but I'm inclined to second that.

Kim,

Sorry for the mispost.

Lee