Modulations

I just saw a new film at the Berlin Film Festival yesterday called
"Modulations" by Iara Lee. It's a documentary which deals with
how techno, d'n'b, jungle, ambient music etc. developed and
how the technology which made it possible. It also retraces
some of the roots of  electronic music. I think all of you who found
any of the last threads (looping as sin, limits of an instrument,
expression through "sound shaping") interesting will definitely
enjoy the film. If any of you dug "Step Across the Border" with
Fred Frith, you'll probably get into this too (although the latter has
much cooler cinematography).

One of the funniest scenes is with Squarepusher (T. Jenkins) in
his tiny bedroom talking "gear". He pulls some ancient mini-
sampler thing (sorry, forgot what it was) from amongst his dirty
laundry with which he claims to have made most of the sounds
on his last CD.

Basically EVERYONE from Coldcut to Roni Size (he seemed
to be rather, uh, "baked") to LJT Bukem to DJ Spooky to Oval
to Orbital to Alec Empire to Can to Stockhausen (great) to Pierre
Schaefer to the Moog guy to Teo Macero (Miles Columbia
sessions) to Bill Laswell to David Toop to Alvin Toffler
(remember "Future Shock"?) is featured in the film. The latter said
something funny to the effect of "We in the western civilization are
great at solving problems by breaking them into tiny little pieces.
We just aren't very good at putting them back together". OK, Alvin
you're an eternal pessimist.

Oh Oh, better stop - I noticed the scroll bar moving ...
Rob