Re: why do people think looping is just for guitar?

>It's more the perception of looping by others. I regularly see it being
>depicted as something for guitar players, whether it's by salesmen or
>media
>or other musicians. *That's* what mysifies me! Is this just because lots
>of
>guitar players do it? Or because it's been guitar oriented people involved
>in manufacturing them and therefore that's where they place it?
>
>To me, using real-time loops for percussion or cello or radio
>transmissions
>or whatever seems just as valid. Why don't other people see it that way?
>What do we do to change that perception?

Perhaps its because its more obvious when a guitarist loops.  People are
used to synthesizers being able to create a wide variety of sounds, and
some knowledge of sequencing has filtered down to most audiences.  If a
keyboard player takes his hands off his instrument, and music continues
to emanate, everyone says "Oh, a computer or something..."  People sit up
and take notice a bit more if you're holding an electric guitar and it
doesn't sound like Jimmy Page.

On the other hand, if you're looping guitarist, you can spend a lot of
time fielding questions like "So, you're playing guitar synth right?  Or
is that a backing tape?"

Travis Hartnett