On DJ's and Looping....

hey there everyone...

I've been getting into the old school DJ scratchin' kind of thing lately,
probably inspired by the likes of DJ's Shadow, Krush and Spooky. I've had
marginal results using the DJ techniques by themseleves like those guys do,
but when adding some live guitar and bass, it's been quite cool...Anyway,
I'm wondering if any other folks on the list have experimented with
turntable techniques, especially with sampling, matching beats, phasing,
and the old school stuff (ie nothing my jamman can do).

Equipment-wise, I have nothing spectacular outside my regular looping rig
besides an old radio shack turntable, but I've been looking over this
DJ-type catalog I recieved....it's got some really cool stuff that might be
of interest to loopers of all types.  I don't believe I've ever heard of a
guitarist or other non-DJ using the DJ mixers, even though they seem really
hip.  Some of the Mixers by Gemini and Numark seems really neat -- full
blown mixers with digital samplers/loopers built in.  I'm looking at a
Gemini 1 rack space Sampler that lists for under $200 that has 5 seperate
memory banks (a 12 second, 2 4's, 2 2's), battery back-up, reverse play and
pitchshifting (maybe along the lines of a PDS 8000?)  The one major
drawback is no MIDI control or footpedals whatsoever..it's all for the
hands.  The same sampler is integrated in a cool-looking DJ mixer for a
couple hundered more.

Anyone ever heard/tried any of this stuff? It seems like it would be a
good, solid looping instrument.  Maybe Lexicon should consult Puff Daddy
about the next round of loopers....=)

Ryan

--
     "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition
            from mediocre minds."     -Albert Einstein