Re: ring modulators

At 5:52 PM 2/27/98, Robert L Williams wrote:
<about the DOD Gonkulator>

>The only problem with this box is that the modulating signal is off and
>reeming whenever the pedal is engaged.  I agree it's a nice ring
>modulator,
>but the noise factor killed it for me.  I've got a nice version made with
>the pitch change in my VG-8 now.

Noise factor, well, of course it's noisy.

Actually, I kind of like the annoying 500hz whine it puts out whenever
there's no carrier signal present. Through a fuzz and a memory man,
sweeping through delay times, it almost sounds like a TB-303.

>In a rack box (besides the Q2 and Vortex) I think the new Oberheim and
>Korg and TC Electronics units have ring mod.  The only other pedal I can
>think of is the new Digitech Space Station.

Is the Space Station actually available for sale yet? I've been wanting to
demo one, but the music store morons in my area, the ones evolved enough
not to just stare blankly when I ask a question, claim it's not out yet.
Since it's been advertised for about a year now, I find this kind of hard
to believe.

Also, a friend of mine just got a rack-mount english-made ring mod that is
supposed to be awe-inspiring. Haven't actually played it yet, and can't
remember the manufacturor, but he's pretty impressed.

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org  : www.peak.org/~improv/

"...there will come a day when you won't have to use
gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
                                            -Sun Ra