Question for all you Klein guitarists (no loop content)

hey everybody,

Sorry for the lack of Looping content, but I need to ask those here with a
Klein guitar......

I pulled out my Steinberger GM (graphite neck, alder body/maple top) after
not
playing it for a while, and plugging into my Mesa amp, I noticed that it
had a
warmer mid-range and bottom end than my Klein (rosewood neck, chambered
swamp
ash). When I plugged the Klein back in, it sounded actually THIN, and this
is
after several months of not really noticing this aspect of its tone (kind
of
"strat-y," as opposed to something like a Gibson SG). Closer comparison of
the
two guitars led me to notice that the distance from the pickups to the
strings
on the Klein was enormous, on the order of nearly 1/2 inch!! A quick call
Joe Barden later I raised the bridge pickup to his recommended height of
approx. 1/16" to 1/4" above the bottom of the strings (when fretted at the
24th fret). The guitar now sounds quite a bit warmer/louder, but the bridge
pickup is so high that it is nearly completely above the metal "collar!"

Has anyone else noticed something like this? Is anyone else getting a
thinner
vs warmer tone (does spruce make a difference?) How high are the rest of
you
setting your pickups? Barden mentioned that he adjusted the Kleins at NAMM
and
was surprised that Lorenzo was building the guitars with so much space for
the
pickups.....

Thanks-

Marshall