Guitar stuff! Stick stuff!

None of this is concerned with looping, so I'm getting it out of the way in
one go.

First, guitars:

Chuck:
>In my solo loop performances I use a  1984 Steinberger GL-2 guitar (with a
>fixed bridge!). I tune the guitar in straight 5ths: A  E  B  F#  C#  G#.
>This gives me nearly a five octave range from the open  A   to the   G#
>at
>the 24th fret.

I alternate between straight 4ths (EADGCF) and straight 5ths (anywhere
between FCGDAE and GDAEBGb).  Kudos on the G# - are you using .008s on top?
 And what did Lenny Breau use for his high A?

Olivier:
>That is the first time I see somone usinfg a straight 5th tuning.. And
>it is funny by the same way we choosed exctly the same tuning (starting
>on a low A). Quite astonishing to me (although I guess due to string
>tension it would be the best compromise...)

...or use bass strings (like a .065 for low F)
On a related subject, what _is_ the advantage of that non-5th interval on
the top strings on New Standard Tuning?

Marshall:
> When I plugged the Klein back in, it sounded actually THIN, and this is
> after several months of not really noticing this aspect of its tone

Thin tone?  Is this a possible.... criticism of Klein guitars?!?!?!
CRISIS!! CRISIS!! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Sorry, but you Klein users seem so happy that the rest of us are bound to
get jealous...

>Has anyone else noticed something like this? Is anyone else getting a
>thinner
>vs warmer tone (does spruce make a difference?) How high are the rest of
>you
>setting your pickups? Barden mentioned that he adjusted the Kleins at NAMM
and
>was surprised that Lorenzo was building the guitars with so much space for
the
>pickups.....

Kim:
>Mine's like that too. I asked Lorenzo about it when I got it, and he
>muttered something about better sustain. (as if the guitar needs any
>more.)

Could be that he's concerned the magnets interfere with the strings.  Allan
Holdsworth cites this as the reason he only uses single-pu guitars.
Myself, I've never noticed any problems.

>I've been meaning to experiement with raising them to warm the sound up a
>bit, but hadn't gotten around to it. I guess I've been sort of enjoying
>the
>thinness a bit since I've always been a humbucker kinda guy and the change
>was nice.

Dammit!  Just when I was hoping for that note of dissent....

Finally, sticks:

I've been facinated with the Stick for yearsnyears, principally because of
the ability to play guitar+bass ranges together (or get in on that big
piano vibe!).  The one thing that concerns me is the tone of tapped notes,
especially in the melody range.  I've tried just tapping on my guitar, and
the tone is kinda lifeless and thin (and, I suppose, attack-free).  Is it
just me?  Is this something that can be improved with technique, or is it
just part of the instrument?  Has anyone ever managed to get big jazz tone
out of a Stick or similar touchboard-style instrument?

Michael