Re: Sticking it to Stanley J

as usual, i'll dissent.....

I saw Stanley Jordan twice, once opening for Miles in like 83???? which was
cool, can't really remember taht much, since i wasn't that into his stuff.
But it was a fun show - and i guess at the time he was still the 'boy
wonder' and his technique seemed otherworldly.

I also wish he didn't solely go down that tapping road.

but the second time - about 2 or 3 years back- his band was fantastic - TM
Stevens on bass, Kenwood Dennard (brand x, jaco, maceo parker) on drums,
and Oscar Brown Jr on keys...

great show - and stanley played a lot of 'straight' guitar - they mixed
some straight jazz stuff, with more fusion-y numbers plus some (too lite)
lite jazz stuff, and the much reviled stairway and Bolero - which was great
to see live.

he's also a really, really cool, down to earth guy - i useta be in a food
co-op that he was a member of, while he lived in Princeton, NJ, and he
would come down with his daughter and bag veggies, price stuff for sale,
etc. Just a regular dude.

Just my .02

It's funny - on a pindrop , this anti Stanley shitstorm started up (which i
don't have a problem with, being a first amendment absolutist) - but i can
only chuckle, thinking about that other famous guitarist, who is
reflexively defended here, from any possible criticisms, while i have yet
to see any quotes from Stanley dissing dozens of other guitarist and their
techniques & styles.....as That Guy has......sigh...nice guys finish
last.....

andre' east