From:   floyd@voicenet.com [SMTP:floyd@voicenet.com]
Sent:   Friday, March 06, 1998 11:31 AM
To:     Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
Subject:        Re:  Future loop music

David Kirkdorffer's comments about a "realism phase" are interesting.

I can imagine loops that not only don't sound like loops but evolve
in some intelligent and predetermined (or perhaps random) way.
The loops' evolution might include a combination of phrasing,
harmonics, timbre and composition.

But doesn't this start to sound like using technology as a
compositional tool?  Ok, this thread is supposed to avoid discussing
specific technology, per se.

I think the application of looping to create ambient, atmospehric,
trance like (ok repetitive) music will always be around.  The use
of looping will probably begin to find it's way into more genres
of music, perhaps even into pop music.  And new genres of music
will continue to develop, some out of the use of technology.

But creativity in both music and technology will continue to flow,
hand-in-hand.  New ideas in composition and musical directions
will provide incentive for new applications of technology.  And
new technology will provide inspiration for those who use it.

Personally, my tastes lead me in two directions, musically.  I
enjoy listening to and making music that has both an ethereal
and an emotional quality.  Two examples are Blues and Ambient Space
music.  Both have repetetive aspects that provide looportunities.
The fusion (oooo sorry to use that word) of those is my current
direction.