Re: A new question

matthew hahn wrote:
>I want to know what people are doing and why.  That's all.  Lay it down.
Since I'm unfortunately only engaged such current lowly pursuits as DJing
music such as ambient, jungle, so called "intelligent techno" and anything
else dished into the marketing mix if you will, I will keep my ignorant
mouth shut.
I hope I just received on the wrong day.<

Well, what's so low about *DJing*? That's one barrier that a lot of
so-called
*musicians* are going to have to get over. One thing that I've learned in
the
last coupler years (being a sophisticated *musi* myself ;-) ) is that a
good DJ
is completely equivalent to a good musician. A good DJ is more than
someone with a cool record collection (I'm talking about good DJ's here -
not the dudes who play CD's at frat parties). You've got to be able to feel
the
mood of the crowd and ride them out. DJ's and *sampling artists* are also
becoming integrated into the normal band thing. There are currently
all sorts of bands where this is already the case. In fact, there is a
thriving
scene in Berlin, Germany (where I currently live) for this sort of stuff
right now.
Funny that no one wants to be able to sell us the equipment we want,
because
there's definitely a hunger for it here (Anybody home up at Oberheim,
Deutschland, nein?). Although, I saw a looper from Vestax (DJ equipment)
yesterday - does Oberheim really take this market seriously - I doubt that
anybody other than Mr. Flint knows that it exists ... :-(

And seeing as you asked - I'll tell you what I'm currently up to here ...
<self
indulgence mode on>. I'm playing with ROPE and we'll have our first CD
released on Geist Records (Alec Empire's new label) world-wide on March
23. This baby's been in the can for more than a year now, so it pains me to

think this is supposed to be representative of our current music - but
that's
inevitable "lag" effect. The best track on there is "Fellini" (yes,
looping!) so
give it as listen as a DJ or music admirer - tell me what you think.
Personally,
I'm a drummer/ percussionist who includes drum machines in my repertoire.
Although I come from a jazz/heavy metal background ;-) , I really dig
recording
drummy loops and mixing them down DJ-style (OK, I can't scratch, but ...).
also like to play live, but that's an entirely different scenario - I play
da drums
(loud) in that case ...

Being a DJ, you should definitely check out a new film called "Modulations"

about the whole DJ/ D'nB/ Jungle dance scene. I posted a while back about
it, so I won't rant any further ...

Aha, i see self-indulgence mode never got turned off ... oops

**GIG TIP**
             Any of you who'll be at the SXSW in Austin, Texas (why do I
always
             think NRA when I think of Texas?) will be able to see ROPE
live,
             headlining the Kitty-Yo label nite - ask me for details if
you're interested.

Rob in Bear-lin