Re: SV: ECM (was Frisell/torn)

Miko wrote...
>"Unsung Heroes" is really one of my all time favorites! So simple and
>elegant,
>yet complex at the same time. Bill's improv is so lyrical. I learned it
>and
>programmed the 'head' into my sequencer and had a great time improvising
>to it.
>I really learned a lot with that one. That's my favorite Frisell release
>as
>well.

Hi Miko ,
A while back I bought an Issue of "how to play guitar"  (from Guitar
Player)
because it had a Bill Frisell lesson. Here Frisell and interviewer focused
some
of it on "Unsung Heroes". Mr.  Frisell said some pretty intensely
theroetical
things to say on that tune. If you like I can send you(privately) a rough
transcript on what he said on "Unsung Heroes" ( "our song".)

I`ll leave you all with a quote from the master, about formal education:

"It`s only the players` fault if they let themselves be programmed by the
routines these places establish. There are all kinds of things you can do
with
the "rules" that a school might give you. For example , in harmony classes
at
Berklee , they`d have "avoid notes" , notes you weren`t supposed to use
over a
particular chord. Naturally , those were the first ones I`d check out."

Yours truly and warmely , Thomas W

Thanks Thom... This sounds like a great interview. If it's not a bother,
I'd
love to see it. Thanks.

I like what Bill has to say about his educational experience. I know a few
who
have come through the Berklee experience, and despite some of the
comments, it
sounds like an amazing experience. And it's a four year college as well.
That's
a nice amount of time to spend really wringing out the wrinkles! At 44 I
doubt
I'll make it there. (But I am attending a tunings workshop with Martin
Simpson
this friday night!)

Kind Regards,
-Miko