RE: ears (and links)

Hey Laurie, nice set of links there.....

At 09:17 PM 3/11/98 -0800, Laurie Hatch wrote:
>Experimental Psychology Prof Chris Darwin's home page.
>http://www.biols.susx.ac.uk/Home/Chris_Darwin/
>Go down to "Teaching", and click on "Lecture Notes".  This is from a 2nd
>year
>course in hearing and perception. Very comprehensive.

On this fellow's excellent page may be part of the answer, specifically
here:

http://www.biols.susx.ac.uk/Home/Chris_Darwin/Perception/Lecture_Notes/Heari
ng3/hearing3.html#RTFToC6

where he discusses combination tones.

a summary:

In a person with healthy hearing, when two tones fairly close in frequency
are played, a third tone can be heard. If the two input tones are F1 and
F2,
the third tone will be 2F1 - F2. This is called the cubic difference tone.

This will probably not be harmonically related to either tone, and will
therefore could sound very dissonant. He also notes that people suffering
from hearing loss will not experience this. (he explains why, go read it.)

By coincidence, I saw David Wessel tonight and asked him if he knew an
answer, and he mentioned this same effect as a possibility. (he also noted
there is much debate on the subject, and there are no hard answers.)  He
also noted that in older population groups, men usually suffer from
considerably more hearing loss than women. (it's not clear if this is due
lifestyle, which may therefore be changing, or physiological differences.)
So men will have more hearing loss than similarly aged women, and therefore
will not experience this third tone effect as much as women will. So maybe
that's part of the answer.

As to why these dissonances result in discomfort, I have no idea.....

kim
Kim Flint                      408-752-9284
Mpact System Engineering       kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research             http://www.chromatic.com