Re: Smaller Speakers

Paolo Valladolid wrote:

> I've always liked the idea of getting a little tube amp for the
>overdriven
> sounds (e.g. the Mesa Boogie Subway Blues or the Ampeg ???Rocket or ??)
> and using that in conjunction with the full range amplification setup.
> Just mic the little tube amp and use your mixer to do whatever you want
> to it (add effects, split it, just leave it dry, etc.).
>
> That way, you get all the benefits of power tube overdrive, electric
> guitar/amp interaction, etc. with better portability.

Neil Young and Ry Cooder have used this concept in some legendarily
complex stage rigs.  One virtue of this approach is that you can use a
single-ended amp like a Fender Champ, which tend to have higher ratios
of even (musical) to odd (sometimes unpleasant) harmonics than more
powerful amps with push-pull output stages.

John
Troubador Tech (http://people.delphi.com/johnpollock/)