Real facts about Real Audio

Hi all,

Having seen one to many misunderstandings on Real Audio posted to the list,
here are some important and CORRECT facts.

I host a site that has over three hours of Real Audio. I also have almost 2
years of experience with Real's products.

1.) Real Audio content can be created using the free encoders available on
the Real site: http://www.real.com/products/creation/index.html

Content can also be created from many third party programs. These programs,
both Mac and Windows, usually require some kind of a plug-in and extension
either provided by the software manufacturer or Real. You may already own
one of these and not know it. See
http://www.real.com/devzone/software/audio.html

The most common pre-encoded audio formats are (AIFF - Mac) and (.wav -
Windows).

2.) Real Server IS NOT REQUIRED to stream Real Audio. Real Audio can do a
psuedo-stream using HTTP protocols. Info is available in the Real site at:
http://www.real.com/encoder/httpstream.html

My advice to fellow loopers  - DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH REAL SERVER
unless...

If you are an ISP or someone with a SERVER connected to the WWW, then Real
Server is a solution. It is costly and not for most, if any, on this list.
A free version is available (obviously not as powerful as the full blown
version).

*************

The sites listed in my signature may be of interest to this list. My
personal site features looping software which I am developing (using MAX,
MSP and a Mac). There are some Real Audio clips (which demonstrate HTTP
streaming - feel free to grab or look at the pages source).

The King Crimson site I host (Elephant Tape) already contains some tracks
from members of this list. Tracks by Stephen Goodman, Travis Hartnett,
Reginald Hunt and Jeff Duke are available (forgive me if I left anyone
out). Many other pieces on the site were created by loopers, especially
tracks from studio seventeen artists.

BTW, although the above may sound like a plug, I can assure you that I make
absolutely NO money from these sites. Enjoy!

Have fun!

Ken

Ken Mistove
kmistove@eclipse.net