Re: electronica double standard?

>For instance, a browse through newsgroups will yield
>alt.musicmakers.dj.bedroom and alt.music.bedroom.producers - and, before
>you
>all conjure up images of soft music done by folks like Tom Jones and Barry
>White (Ohhh, Baby...), here's the scoop!  Apparently there is a sub-class
>of
>DJing that comprises individuals who don't get Paid for DJing, and mostly
>produce recordings out of their (did you get it yet?) bedrooms.  And, yes,
>the implication is that they live at home with the parents.  I can't seem
>get a straight answer on whether that's a slight against non-established
>'acts' (if that's what a DJ 'is'), and their own professional status, or
>just a joking reference to what's probably everyone's beginnings.

Over here in the UK, the "bedroom musician" tag usually applies to a
non-gigging amateur musician.  I am a "bedroom guitarist".  I do not play
my guitar in the bedroom, I play it in the lounge. So I could be called a
"lounge guitarist" - no, hold on, that means something else.  OK, I could
play in my garage (if I were lucky enough to own one).  Then I'd be a
garage gui - no, wait. Can't use that either.  The implication may be over
there that this means you're living with your parents, but not over here.
If truth were told, "toilet guitarist" would be most appropriate in my
case... :(

Besides which, as every guitarist knows, the bedroom's where you find full
length mirrors for posing - I mean, for studying your technique.  ;)

Michael