Re: fave David Sylvian disc

doug pieren wrote:

> Tom Lambrecht wrote:
> >
> > advice please . . .which disc do I (would you) get? why?
> "Gone to Earth" or "Secrets of the
> Beehive"... w/ Fripp which are both great ...Japan .. Buy 'em all!

Right, "buy them all" is the simplest solution. However, my
recommendations to start with are:

1. Gone to Earth - "Frippertonic" with Sylvian's good melody line and
mood. Besides, Robert Fripp, there are many great musicians involved.
You may find that although David Sylvian is not a very technical
musician, he did blended all these musicians togehter and created
something unique. It's an all time favourite for me.

2. Secret of Beehive - some people think it's a very personal album.
Most of the songs are quiet and moody. It takes some more time to get in
love with. But you'll be amazed by what David Torn has done in this
album. I think this is one of the most important album DT has ever made.
Sylvian again has selected the right musician to present his musical
ideas. Too bad that it may be the only collaboration they have done
since they do not get along very well now.

3. Damage - A live version of "The First Day". This is how Sylvian and
Fripp interpert "Groove" and "Rock". Quite different styles from the
above, but it leads me to start enjoying much more 70's music. (I was
too small at that time)

4. Tin Drum - This is how Japan interperts the Asian (Japanese and
Chinese) ideas. To me, this is the greatest Japan's album. Every member
has contributed equally with their own unique telant. (Steve's drum +
Mick's bass + Richard's keyboard (programming) + David's voice (and
ideas))

Alan