Re: scums stripper

>David wrote:
>Only problem: SCMS!  Of course want to put my
>freshly-recorded CDR into my
>CD deck and make copies.  Does anyone know of a good
>source for a SCMS
>stripper?
>----------

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wasn't aware that recordings YOU made
YOURSELF (not copies of commercial releases) with the CDR870 would have
SCMS present.  This was intended to be a commercial thing to prevent people
from making endless branching trees of digital copies:  eg, you make a copy
for a friend who makes a copy for a friend who. . . (you get the picture)
basically, at this point you and all your buddies and all their budies have
the new Madona disk, and between all 1200 of you you only have one legal
copy.

If I read you correctly, this is not what you intend to do.

Again, the disks you record yourself should not be encoded with SCMS, and
even if they were, I assume (rightly or wrongly) that you only have only
one CDR870, so any digital copy you made of your recording would be first
generation (put your freshly recorded disk in your CD player, hook it up to
your digital recorder and burn another disk)  This is first generation, so
SCMS is not even an issue.  Now if you want to copy the copy you just made
AND if it is indeed a commercial SCMS encoded disk, you will not be able to
make this recording without a trip through the D/A converters in your
player and the A/D converters in your recorder (VERY, VERY marginal quality
loss, not at all akin to what one would have encountered a few years ago
with the old converters)

So, even if your recordings of your loop band end up being SCMS (note the
if) encoded, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to make copies for
your girlfriend, her mom, everyone in the band and maybe even a few copies
to sell, as long as you make them from the original disk that you mastered
to.

If your point is to archive old analog recordings this isn't even an issue.

If you are archiving DATs of your band (as you pointed out, DATs do wear
out) you should be able to do this too, even if you source is SCMS encoded
as these DATs ought to be first generation.

If you want to make copies of CDs of commercial CDs, you will be able to do
this too, but you can't make copies of the copy (without first going
through the converters.

Am I missing something?  If I am, please let me know.

-Doug Tapia