Re: IRC Chat with David Torn & Tony Levin!

>graphic and soundbites from the forthcoming Bruford/Levin Upper
>Extremities
>album.  This is not an album to miss!  In April they will be hitting the
>road on the east coast to support this album.

Touring the East coast - typical!  That'll be Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen
then.  Once again, the West Coast (and Glasgow in particular) loses out to
its lowland rivals.

Errr... you _were_ talking about the East Coast of Scotland, weren't you?
Only, you didn't say....

But enough.  On to the great guitar tone debate!  Things have been busybusy
these last few months and I've barely touched a guitar since Xmas (gasp!);
so yesterday I forced myself to rewire, reassemble and restring Guitar #2,
the Squier strung in 5ths (8-70 gauge!).  Without an amp to hand, the only
quick fix for trying out the success of the rewiring was to plug it into
the nearest headphone amp - ie my JAMMAN.  With a $100 Squier Bullet (with
big chipboard cracks) going direct into the JM, direct to headphones, I can
honestly say I've never played such a haunting loop.  Whether it was just
the act of getting back onto guitar after so long or what I don't know, but
what I will say is this; I'm a great believer in Tone (I Know What I Like
etc) and direct cruddy guitar isn't normally it.  But in this setting it
just .... worked.  I think the loop just fitted to the tone rather than
vice versa.  Damn, but I wish I had a tape handy at the time...

Michael