Re: Beyond Mono and Stereo

At 04:23 PM 3/23/98 -0800, Andy Wolpert wrote:
>>(The helicopter flies RIGHT OVER YOUR HEAD!!!!....ooooo...)
>Unfortunately 5.1 surround does not allow for a ceiling mounted speaker.
>
>I suppose you could approximate it by with careful application of a head
>transfer function adding some of the sound out of phase into the
>sub-woofer.

well, golly! I'm sitting here reading the audio chapter of the latest draft
of microsoft's PC'99 spec, and guess what they expect to be a standard part
of all PC audio solutions in a couple of years?  True HRTF 3D audio
processing......

you can start dreaming about those 3d soundscapes now, and we'll see if
microsoft somehow manages to screw it up or not. It should be included in
Windows98, with varying degrees of quality depending on hardware available
in the system to support it.

kim
Kim Flint                       408-752-9284
Mpact Systems Engineering       kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research              http://www.chromatic.com