Re: Many questions answered

Jamie Lack wrote:

>  <I use a zoom 4-sec delay because it is all I have.

Me too ... to a certain extent.

Can't beat the bang for the buck ya get outta the zoom 508. Gee, I think I
paid like $99 USA bucks for that pedal new and I luv it and depend on it
for
my whole Looping/Gtr  setup.

I use a Zoom 505 w/ expression, Hush Floor Pedal, Boss DE200, a GR-30, an
A/B switch, Zoom Speaker Ems ( the 503 I think it is called - just got it a
few days back ! ), the Zoom 508 delay w/expression pedal, a mini-Mackie
12ch
mixer, a Peavy 2600 Power Amp and ASR 15in Spkrs - DJ spkrs.

My Boss DE200 I bought off the street about 6 yrs ago in Dwntwn - Philly.
A graduating Univ of the Arts Student was selling all of his rock - n -
roll
gear cause he got a serious day gig as an archetect or Graphic Designer or
somethin like that. I paid 25 bucks for the DE200 and I'm still hot for its
2 secs or less delay plus flange/and chorus effcts just as much as I
cherish
my 4 sec Zoom 508.

With all the talk about Echoplexes and their power and pricing - it truly
aint a cheap toy...I do sometimes get gearis envy or moreover I feel like
my
gear may be snickered at if I were to play out in front of all the gear
heads types you always seem to run into at say a Fripp or Torn show after,
during and before their shows are finished.

I began building and acquiring Gtr based loop/stuff around my natural
instinct of looking for the best bang for a buck I could find. I focused on
basic effects ie. Distortion sustain Harmonizer, Pitch Shift, EQ, Amp
emulat, etc plus using decent and even sounding gtrs ( Ibanez RGs ) but I
imposed certain deliberate limitations. Yes, I wanted decent sounding and
reliable stuff but I didnt need to go into overdrive and get into sa
morphing sounds,  and all the other stuff you can delve into on a high end
Multi Effects Unit. Im mostly a synth and sampler head as of late and I can
get a lot of that stuff morphinng stuff and other unusual sounds out of the
DP-4 thats built into The Ensoniq ASR 10. The ASR 10 also gives me 273
seconds of Sample time. For me its way too much time that I have yet to use
to its fullest. I dont think I ever will ( At least I say that today)

Typically I sequence or blend dance loops or take textures Ive sampled with
whatever delays or effects I might run on the ASR over say a sampled gtr
part  and use the sampler to contruct a more mechanical and contrlled type
of loop setting ( w/ or with out beats). I didnt feel like i needed to
duplicate that setup dippin deeper into synthiness w/ a gr-30.

I strongly felt if i limited my delay/loop time in regard to building gtr
textures by say just using a quiet 4sec delay box  I'd be forced to think
and react better and hopefully get to the point Guitarwise a lot quicker
than what I would if I  had every tech. option available.
I also wasnt into the idea of creating more midi mazes just to call up
patches. I can do it all well and good & fast - manually.

My whole setup from soup to nuts including gtrs, cables and gig packaging (
I made my gear cabinests for carryaournd and transfer meself) cost just
slightly under 2K and I'm quite happy with only an occaisonal touch of
"gearis" envy every now and then.

The important thing is to always get a system that fits you as an
individual
and to also use common sense before ya buy anything.