RE: Slick n' Finished VS Fresh n' New/looping in groups

Well for my two cents worth:

I think Kim made some good points in terms of improv in general.

More specifically, I play in a couple of different
ensembles/bands/improvising circumstances that have a least two people,
sometimes three who use looping devices in any given piece of music. As
in most improv situations, there's always the risk of "failure." That
being said, it often comes off as being fairly successful musically,
IMHO. Sometimes it's just one person looping, sometimes two or three.
Sort of like when you stop to leave space for solo, duo or trio sections
in an improv. I enjoy the collisions and/or phasings that happen. We
tend to generally use the loopers as textural devices rather than
rhythmic devices-though I do work with a singer who will loop whatever
the whole band is doing aand play it back at us, sometimes we use that
as the groove to set us into a new section. Of course we also use this
sort of thing in the "soundscape" (Fripp doesn't have a patent on this
term right?) realm as well.

Looping is only a small part of the "arsenal," so this may not address
the question fully (?).

stig