Re: Spring peepers in our ponds

Did a little hiking and didging (as in Aboriginal wind instrument) down in
the Ozarks yesterday and at the base of Buford Mountain, the peepers were
in
full swing (or loop)

they get this call and response thing going big time (some of which is
presumably mating? and part of which is attributable to a really fine 75
degree day :) happy in their stagnant little pools

you have to sneak up or they all fall silent . . . but it's really amazing
what they can do without even a whammy pedal . . . I've been by larger
ponds
where the sound was a ROAR, with a steady drone punctuated by solos by
other
anurans . . .

and of course, that warm, southerly breeze was looping, too . . . dried
leaves RATTLING, deadfall trees CREAKING, soda cans discarded by some
cretin
CLANKING and the wind itself WHISTLING . . .

got back home late and looked at my arsenal of sound-tweakin gizmos, shook
my head and went to sleep.

Tom

At 12:51 AM 9/2/97 -0700, you wrote:
>  Great msg, I was attending a Music Craft seminar a while back and while
>we were playing some music, I and a few others of us heard a few crickets
>who were quite definately chirping in time with us!  Go figure...
>
>smiles and chirps,
>
>Corynne
>
>At 12:30 PM 3/28/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>I woke up this scintillatin' morning out of terms with my stomach and
>>cranium, due to the once happy embrace of last night's shindig.  I
>grabbed
>>a grapefruit and went out to our back patio which overlooks trees, and
>>terraces leading down to a creek (amusingly we own the river bed).
>>
>>I sat, started eating and then I noticed the birds were looping.  There
>>were about four of them doing it.
SNIP

Tom Lambrecht  hideo@concentric.net