RE: Crisis!!!!!!

Tom W.,

If all you eat is bread, it gets boring/unsatisfying after awhile. Try
herring (sorry, poor joke).

Looping is just a tool (sorry), it's not the end -all-maybe it's
learning to incorporate it into your overall musical vocabulary.

SUGGESTIONS/COMMENTARY

Solo Practice at Home:

Try playing pieces/doing improvisations that have nothing to do with
looping. Or just sit down for a 45-minute period of time and do whatever
comes to mind . . . maybe you'll find that the next step in the flow IS
looping.

Growth Process:

Haven't you ever felt the "RUT" show up before? It means you're ready to
go to your next phase-whatever that may be. It's all part of the growth
process. How do you deal with this normally?

Usually, when I get in this sort of situation, I try to analyze what it
is that's bugging me about what I'm doing-or try to figure out what's
lacking/where I want to go or be. (Once, when I hated my soloing, I
realized that I wanted to sound like Lester Bowie playing bass, so I
tried imagining what that meant-and I tried to figure out how to achieve
that.)

Sometimes, I decide to pull back from writing and concentrate on
writing.

Lately, I've felt like I wanted to pull a Sonny Rollins or Gary
Peacock-just hole up and practice and forget about gigs, etc. for a good
long time.

If all you're doing is practicing, get out and play.

A friend of mine had that deck of cards that Brian Eno made (Oblique
Strategies?), that seemed to have a lot of interesting possibilites . .
.

Fatigue:

If you're schedule's been super-busy, maybe you're just tired.

stig