Re: MIDI problems ???

heh, heh. Andre, you have far more energy for this than I do!

If you are happy with what you have, great! But I think you largely missed
my point, which is:

The possiblity for incredible advances in the expressiveness and musicality
electronic instruments could be here, if not for the unfortunate (and well
documented by other people) limitations of midi. I spent a number of years
in R&D labs working on early prototypes of such instruments, and I find it
frustrating that they can't be enjoyed by the rest of the world. I hope
that
someday this will change, but that day will not come through acceptance of
the status quo.

If you want to learn some more about some midi alternatives and possible
future musical networking technologies try these:

the ZIPI home page (actually the "what happened to zipi home page"):
  http://cnmat.cnmat.berkeley.edu/ZIPI/

ZIPI docs published in the winter 1994 computer music journal:
  ftp://mitpress.mit.edu/pub/Computer-Music-Journal/Texts/ZIPI/

especially the one describing midi's limitations:

ftp://mitpress.mit.edu/pub/Computer-Music-Journal/Texts/ZIPI/midi-comparison.t

ZIPI's Music Parameter Description Language:
  http://cnmat.cnmat.berkeley.edu/ZIPI/mpdl.html

cnmat's current efforts with Open Sound Control:
  http://cnmat.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OpenSoundControl/

and for kicks, microsoft's DirectMusic:
http://www.microsoft.com/directx/pavilion/future/dmusic.htm

kim
Kim Flint                      408-752-9284
Mpact System Engineering       kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research             http://www.chromatic.com