EDP MIDI footcontrol

Sorry to be thick, but I ask the following questions in the hope
that some MIDI literate person will hold my hand.
At present I use a floor based FX processor + expression pedal
and EDP foot controler. I find this combination needs at least
two feet so I either play (guitar) seated or fall over a lot.
I am now thinking of getting a rack mounted FX unit (any recommendations?)
which inevitably means a midi floor control (thinking of the
Rocktron midimate). Now the question:
Can I set up a midi floor control to work in the same way as the EFC7?

Now the really key question: How?

I've read the manual but not being midiminded I can't make much
sense of it. OK, I can't make any sense of it, so please help.

Jim Carter