Looping and Composing

We've got a number of serious composers with us here on the list, who use
looping as a part of their compositions. I'm mostly an improviser myself,
so I've never really dealt much with this idea in my own music. I'm
wondering if some of you could explain a bit about how real-time looping
fits into your compositions or your approach to composing? Also, how common
has this become among modern composers, and what sorts of things are others
doing with looping?  Any ideas about where these ideas are heading and what
sorts of things we might hear in loop compositions of the future?

kim