RE: DJ loopage

I don't understand half of what DJ Megafun wrote in the message below.
However, I find it very interesting, and it's pointing to some interesting
possibilities I hadn't thought of before, mostly because I don't have or
know the equipment he mentions.  In all this conversation about DJ's
versus straighter loopers (is that correct, to call us that?) (who like to
approach it from Riley's, Fripp's, Eno's, etc., viewpoint) I find that
it's really the technology and how it is used that determines what sounds
one comes up with, and how this contrasts with what has been done before.

As an interesting illustration, I heard of Eno showing up at a recording
studio on 39th Street in Manhattan (NY), and spending a good hour
recording a microphone in a water tank, all while blowing bubbles and
playing a speaker (!) underwater with some wild sounds.  This was recorded
and taken with him for some mysterious purpose.

Electronics companies like to redesign their wares in the hope that
whatever in-vogue fad will make everybody want to have one too.  Their
modus operandi is purely high sales and profit.

Artists, by contrast, look to experiment with ever more outlandish
elements in the hope of creating something truly original -- hopefully
more and more their own expression, through which their own voice can be
clearly ascertained.  Electronical devices, so abundant in our age, and as
pointed out so subtly by DJ Megafun, ought to be looked at -- at least to
us loopers -- as objects that either combine to make up elements, or are
elements themselves, beyond what we assume them to be.  Mr. DJ Megafun is
telling me to give up my long-held notions of looping devices (Echoplex,
16-sec. Digital Delay) as virtual tape recorders -- the composition is the
loop and what I play over it and along with it.

I can see in my mind's eye, from reading his article, how each loop
becomes an element of an ever greater composition, and how these
compositions themselves become elements of another.  Not unlike what Fripp
said in "Let the Power Fall" about structures.

I for one would like the DJ-oriented members of this list to remain and
share their views with me.

        And so with gods and men,
        the sheep remain inside their pen
        until the shepherd leads his flock away.
        The sands of time were eroded by
        the river of constant change...

Javier