Re: Folk/Celtic Looping

>> I'm really not aware of any Celtic loopers per se.  There is a big
>> techno/Celtic crossover movement - Shooglenifty, Afro Celt Sound System,
>> Peatbog Faeries, etcetc - Shooglenifty describe themselves as "Acid
>Croft"
>> (a croft is a traditionan farm - er  - house).  But I don't know of
>anybody
>> actually looping.

>Not sure what label(s) to put on this band, but if anybody hasn't heard
>them, I'd recommend Mouth Music. Nice blend of indigenous Scottish music
>with African beats and technoish electronics. Definitely some loop-like
>stuff in the mix at times.

I'd attach a similar label to them - I'm familiar with thir work, though
I've not actually heard any, but I know they share a number of bandmembers
with Shooglenifty (as do the more mainstream (ie Clannadesque)
Capercaillie).  A good introduction to contemporary Celitic is on the EMI
collection "Folk'n Hell" (think about it).  Not the best tracks, but most
of the prominent players.

Michael

 Dr. Michael P. Hughes, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK G12 8QQ
     Mr. Griff raised his stunted barber's pole. "And where do
         you think you are going with your old black bag?"
       Grandpa said: "I am going to Llangadock to be buried"
       "But you aren't dead yet, Dai Thomas"  -Dylan Thomas
 www.elec.gla.ac.uk/~pycraft               m.hughes@elec.gla.ac.uk