Re: loopmarketing

 I agree with David K.
I have 'released' 2 CDs on my own, and it can be incredibly expensive just
to get the thing out there, much less getting this label thing together. I
had to ask myself 'What if I don't need a label, and what is it going to do
for me if I have one of my own?'
There is nothing wrong with releasing a CD on your own, and selling a few
here and there at shows that you play. Playing live has been the best way
of
selling my CDs. It is difficult for me to justify selling idependently
(locally) released CDs in local stores, they usually collect dust in the
'Local' section, and the store gets half the $ anyway. If you want to start
a business, start a small publishing business, 'publishing' your own music.
This entitles you to benefits like gear insurance from organizations like
ASCAP and BMI.
There are labels out there looking for new, interesting music, but I can't
believe that they have all that much $ to dump into non-mainstream acts.
Many of the artists signed to them still work day jobs, and as a result,
they see even less $ from the sale of a CD. The only advantage I can see is
that you can impress your friends with 'Oh yeah, I'm signed..'. The more
musicians market their own music through the Internet and live gigs, the
more music gets out there.
Dave Eichenberger
'Future Perfect' - art music - visit our website at:
http://home1.gte.net/artmusic/