External LFO sources...

Greetings...
I'm continually frustrated by the lack of internal global LFOs in my fx
gear,
and am hoping somebody out there has a suggestion. I'm looking for a
hardware
device (I KNOW Max can do it!) that will allow me to configure an LFO (and,
ideally, other kinds of modulators, like S/H, random, audio-level, etc) and
send it to any other device as a MIDI controller. I know that, virtually
unique among fx devices,  the Lex MPX-1 will send its own modulators out as
controllers, but I was hoping not to have to spend $1K.
Appreciate any ideas!
Thanks...
dpc