MAX/Computers on Stage

RE:     MAX/Computers on Stage

Loopers:

I have seen numerous incredible performances using MAX, both for looping,
and interactive functions.  It is clearly a composer/performer's dream. But
I am not a MAX user and here's why.  I've seen too many concerts where the
performance either didn't start or had to stop because MAX wasn't working.
Now in some contexts, this is not such a problem but if you end up on a big
festival stage, with tight on and off stage set-up/break down time, or even
in any context where you have to move your equipment after an afternoon
sound check and then start performing without a real full sound check
immediately before performing, then you are going to be at risk for
embarassment.  For me it's not about taking a big computer on stage (I've
always used a Powerbook for this once they existed) but far more about how
bullet proof the set-up is.  I'll admit I've had to stop shows because of
other equipment failure (mostly Eventide problems) but usually when working
with Max, you are pushing the limits of the machine/program and any little
glitch (bad AC, mispatch, MIDI voodoo, who knows?) can cause problems.  It
may be that soon or even now, the computers are more powerful and robust so
that these problems will become less frequent.

For years it was easy for me to avoid MAX because I could do all the
functions I needed with MIDI continuous controllers from  a Digitech PMC-10
foot controller controlling various devices, like a GSP 2101, Eventide
H3500, Lexicon PCM-70 and EDPs.   Now with the live looping functions and
MSP, it begins to look much more attractive and unique.  But for stage use,
the question will always be reliability.

Paul Dreshser