Way off-topic?: taking your monitor for a show

I don't think I would want to haul a 17" CRT to a show if I didn't have to.
One solution, using a powerbook, might be great, but might suffer from
other problems, notably being limited to 2-channel audio.

Another solution is an LCD display.  They are small and light.  The CPU of
a desktop mac could be rackmounted, and the LCD would make computer travel
much easier.  I've even seen a Wacom device that is both LCD and graphics
tablet (i.e. a stylus-sensitive LCD).  Sounds ideal for controlling complex
looping instruments.   Combined, the cost of a G3 mac and such a display
should be around $4000, which sounds like a lot until I talk to my friends
who have to buy "real" instruments, like good saxophones, trombones,
cellos... ;-)

Please don't get me wrong about this software stuff.  I'm a HUGE fan of all
things discrete, modular, and analog.  I like patchcords and blinking
lights.  I like hauling racks full of gear to gigs.  I love my echoplex,
and I won't be replacing it with software; it's just that there's so much
that it _can't_ do.

-Chris