Re: footpedal question

At 03:21 PM 7/29/98 -0500, Dennis W. Leas wrote:
>The design of the pedal is very good (I'd say
>brilliant).  I LOVE being able to use a conventional two-conductor cord.

thanks, that part was my idea. :-) I'm rather proud of the simplicity we
managed to achieve in the pedal design. Making it work with an ordinary
patch cord was one of my "I'm a musician, dammit, and this thing is gonna
be
musician-friendly!" stubborn insistences. I hate special cables, and I sure
as hell wasn't going to design one in without a fight...so we made the rack
unit smarter to enable the pedal to be really dumb.

Another one of the goals of the design was to enable people to easily make
their own pedals, and I'm glad to see people like yourself are doing that.
It lets you easily customize the control of the EDP to whatever it is you
are doing. Not everybody wants a footpedal, but maybe you want something
completely different. Or maybe you just want a different sort of pedal
(tastes vary widely in foot controls...). You can make it yourself in an
afternoon, and don't need much skill or any special help from Oberheim. And
as you've noted, the parts are pretty cheap. So I guess if you don't like
the pedal Oberheim sells, go make your own!

>Within 3 months, I had to replace the RECORD button on my original
>pedal and I'm NOT an animal on my switches.  I play in my bare
>feet to have a better touch.

I've been using the same pedal on mine for 4 years and it's never broken,
so
it's definitely a YMMV sort of thing.....

kim
Kim Flint, MTS                 408-752-9284
Chromatic Research             kflint@chromatic.com
http://www.chromatic.com