RE: average loop music CD price

Sean-

I think you are right about the competition part.  I was playing devil's
advocate just to illustrate the additional costs involved in bringing a
product to market.  (Also, my numbers were wrong due to a typo.  I meant to
add $1 for studio time, mastering, not $2, making the total original cost
$3. Actually, to this must be added overhead, advertising, etc.)

Clearly, the cost of software (any kind) to the consumer is much higher
than
many manufactured products, considering original cost vs. retail price.
Certainly for most electronic products.  Not for drugs, for example, and
other manufactured products.

In the case of CD's vs. vinyl, the cost of CD's has stayed way up while the
cost of producing them has gone way down.  Record companies certainly own
monopolies on particular performers.  An individual can record a CD and
market him/herself, and keep the price down.  But individuals don't have
ready access to the market machine like record companies do.  Record
companies pay a high price to gain this access, which is a significant part
of their cost. They get a following for their product, and are able to sell
it at whatever the market will pay.  There is probably a certain amount of
"price-fixing", too.  I think that the many "mini-monopolies" is the key.

The system works, basically.  You don't have to pay $17 for a CD.  You
don't
have to pay $100+ for a Bulls ticket, either.