Re: new way of using samples in live performance

At 9:00 AM 8/3/98, Sean O'Donnell wrote:
>I would also like to know what you are doing with the PC1600 and your
>E-MU. I use my PC1600 to control an Ensoniq ASR-10, JamMan, and Alesis
>Quadraverb Plus. So far, I've been using it in studio recording moreso
>than live performances. My setup: I've assigned the buttons on the
>PC1600 to activate the various tap and fade functions of the JamMan. It
>expands the JamMan interface by assigning a button to each function,
>e.g. layer, replace, mute, and fade. So, the really nice thing is that I
>don't have to switch modes on the fly if I want to layer then replace
>then mute. It is a simple yet great enhancement to my JamMan setup.
>Meanwhile, the faders are assigned to the Alesis Quadraverb which allows
>up to eight continuous controllers. I use this setup to create bizarro
>loops which I will sometimes feed into my ASR-10 for additional
>tweeking.
>
>Anyone else using the PC-1600 out there?

I use a PC-1600 to control an LXP-5 and JamMan in a way similar to what you
describe, buttons controlling the JamMan, sliders controlling the LXP,
makes for a pretty cool looping system. Also, I use the PC to program a
DX-7, Yamaha VL-70 and a Sequential 6-Trak in real time, either via system
exclusive or continous controllers. The PC is a very handy piece of gear.

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org  : www.peak.org/~improv/

"...there will come a day when you won't have to use
gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
                                            -Sun Ra