Re: Boomerang

> Well, you can do these exact same things with the echoplex, in pretty
>much
> exactly the same way. The echoplex has 7 buttons on its footpedal, which
>is
> only one more than on the boomerang. So I guess I still don't understand
> why it is you think the echoplex is too complicated to perform with. Do
>you
> have something more specific? What is it that confuses you? That was my
> question, and you didn't really answer it.

I'm not criticizing the EDP outright.  I think it's a nifty box and I will
be adding it to my studio set up someday (hopefully).  My criticism is
based on my in-store comparisons.  I was able to get the Boomerang doing
interesting stuff very quickly, the EDP was hard to figure out at first.
Based on my rather quick comparisons (and the 'rangs built in memory and
lower price), I went with the rang.  I also have to agree with some of the
people on the list about ease of use routing. My signal path goes -
Distortion->Rang->Delay->Delay->(road case)Reverb->Reverb.  It would be a
serious pain to have to route back and forth from the road case in the
middle of the chain.  I can totally see having the EDP (with the control
box sitting near the console) in my studio set up.

> >friend of mine had two EDP units and sold them both and bought 'rangs
> >because he got tired of getting confused while trying to play.  Like I
>
> What was it that your friend found confusing?

        I didn't delve too deeply into it with him since I already had my
'rang at that point and wasn't doing any comparison shopping.  I think he
just had problems getting everything doing what he wanted them too when he
was playing live.

> The reason I ask is that things can always be improved, but you have to
>be
> more clear about what the problem is first. Just making a negative
> criticism with no specifics isn't very useful to anybody.

I understand that you want more direct criticism, being that I don't own
an EDP, I can't provide it to you.  When I get one, and I spend some time
with it, I'll write something better up.

> >other. .
>
> So on one hand, you want things to be more simple, but then you want to
>add
> features that would make the interface significantly more complex, and
> certainly require "some serious time" to be comfortable with. Do you
>think
> you can have it both ways?

Uh, no.  If the EDP had the multiple different length loops, it would have
been the extra needed justification for me to buy it and spend the time
with it.  I'm not afraid of complexity (I certaily own boxes that I've had
for years and am still finding out new things about), but when I'm buying
a "looper," I'm making a comparison between
features/price/memory/stability, etc...   When I was looking for a stage
looper, the 'rang won.  I wouldn't use the rang in the studio, but I would
certainly buy an EDP for that.

Kevin