Re: HD recording with Cakewalk Professional

Tim,

I've been working with cakewalk for a while now.  I just upgraded from
version 6 to 7, and now I'm doing alot more with the audio capabilities.

Suggestions:

1)  I've found the cakewalk web site (http://www.cakewalk.com) extremely
valuable.  They have a news server set up there, where actual employees
of the company will publically answer questions.  It is quite a unique
and outstanding effort to improve the usability of their programs.  If
you can't get access to it through your internet provider, you can read
it through dejanews (http://www.dejanews.com).

2)  You might want to make sure that you bought "cakewalk pro *audio*"
and not just "cakewalk pro" if you plan on doing multitrack recording.

3)  Get a good pair of *comfortable* headphones.  I like AKG's.

4)  When you install the program, install the tutorials.  They can be
helpful if you're patient enough to sit there an watch them.

5)  Get a .wav editor that's easy to work with.  Cool edit and sound
forge are pretty good, and I think they have "budget" editions.  The
.wav editor will work as a plug in that will allow you to get your loops
to the right lengths, as well as more powerful editing capabilities.

6)  Get some sort of removable media drive.  I think the best way to go
is with a CD-R, so when you're finished, you can burn your own LP's.
Blank CD-R's run about $1 to $1.50 (US) when you buy more than a dozen
or so.  I'm sure you know that recording audio takes tons of hard drive
space.

7)  Run all your power cables separate (at least half a meter) from the
audio cables to decrease hum.  If they have to cross, do so at right
angles.

8)  Keep the CPU as far away from your audio equipment as possible.
Again, this will decrease hum.

9)  Try to get all your electricity from the same outlet.  This will
(you guessed it) decrease hum.

10)  Make sure you're having fun.  Don't get frustrated when things
aren't working correctly (they won't at first).  Use the glitches
musically, because after all, the music is what this is for.

See what you've gotten yourself into?

Matt

p.s.  don't get a mac.  and i'm test driving cubase vst, so i can't
comment on that.

>From: "Tim Walker" <tawalker@dircon.co.uk>
>To: "Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com" <Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com>
>Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 22:18:33 +0100
>Subject: HD recording with Cakewalk Professional
>
>I've just upgraded my soundcard (SB16 to a Turtle Beach Malibu) and
>bought Cakewalk Professional v6, as part of my plan to create a
>multitrack hard disk recording facility on my PC. Do any of you use
>Cakewalk, and if so, do you have any useful suggestions for HD
>recording with the package?
>
>Note I said **useful** suggestions, which precludes "get a Mac", "use
>Cubase VST" and other similar items... ;-)
>
>Many thanks,
>Tim.

>  tawalker@dircon.co.uk - www.users.dircon.co.uk/~tawalker/
>The Hall of the Endless Knot - looping, prog-rock guitar, etc.
>********www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5117*******

The price I pay for free, private email is the following commercial
message...