Re: Multiple loops on the EDP

At 8:13 AM -0700 8/12/98, Lee Wordsman wrote:
>Andreas Willers wrote:
>>  Too bad You can't weed out Your first
>> (sometimes rhythmic bass riff type) loop from the later parts with just
>one
>> unit - a move that musical buildups often ask for especially with
>> ostinatos..
>
>Are you saying that you can't have one of the hypothetical 5 loops that
>doesn't include loop 1.  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point.  I've
>always assumed that the EDP could be used to play a separate theme on
>loop 2 so that you could loop your basic pattern on loop 1 and a bridge
>on loop 2.  Is this incorrect?

No, I think you missed something there. We were talking about a particular
technique you could do with copies to acheive the effect of having multiple
loops at once. The normal case is all the loops are completely independent
of each other, you can record anything into any of them, any length. If you
*want* to, you can copy the audio from any one loop to any other. So you
could have Loop1's audio be the base of Loop5, or Loop4 be the base of
Loop2, or whatever. You can also copy just the time base, so that any loop
can be a multiple length of another, which is helpful for keeping things in
time. For example, you could have a 2.1 second loop in Loop3, and copy just
the time to Loop5 so that it is also 2.1 sec but with different audio, and
then you could do the same to loop8 but let it extend out 3 times longer to
be 6.3 seconds, etc. Its very flexible.

kim