RE: Home Studio

I recommend you read the information at http://www.guillemot.com.  Their
soundcard is pretty decent.  I purchased their Home Studio thing.  Since I
don't have other software like Cubase or Cakewalk, I don't know if they
have any issues with this soundcard; however, the recording program called
Quartz SE it comes with is so-so.  Anyway, it is said not to rely heavily
on your CPU.  For the money, I think it's a bargain.  I found the best
price at http://www.necx.com.

I used to have a Cyrix P166+ (so-called P133) and really slow old-style
IDE hard drive, a Quantum BigFoot.  Since then I've upgraded to an Asus
TX-97E motherboard with a Pentium 233MMX and a Western Digital Ultra-DMA
6.3-GB hard drive, as well as a Maxtor Ultra-DMA 11-GB hard drive, and
this things rocks.  I'm now considering that new AMD P300 "2" CPU they got
out that fits in my Socket-7 type of plug for the CPU.  That should really
speed it all up.

However, I'm also considering it may make more sense to buy a whole new
computer with a Pentium II 400 MHz.  They are really fast.  This month
they started building 450-MHz computers.