Coffeehouses (Was Re: Getting paid to play)

> >> You'd be suprised how many coffeehouses *do* pay fo you to play
>'ambient,
> >> electronic' stuff. I get booked around here (and get paid) simply
>because
>
> I'm glad that you were able to get paid in this manner, but I'm sad to
> report that my experience in Austin is that you won't get paid unless
>you

Two different views and both are right of course. I imiagine Austin is one
of the hardest places to break into due to all the live muc all over the
place. However in some towns peoepl are starving for interesting stuff and
would like to hear something different in a non club atmosphere.

A few years ago I literally browbeat a local coffeehouse into letting me
play on weekends. it was hard work but went very well. i got paid a
pittance but was able to do *anything* I wanted and defined the sets,
equipment and such and sometimes played three hours for the rotating
audience that came in from the local bars got some joe and then left. A
Lot of people I never would have reached heard what i did. Some of them
even dug it.

I ended up playing there a couple times and even recorded live album there
(PLUG- Still available on my web page as the Caffeine Album:)).

I Sold tapes, got tips, got paid, and most of all had a blast and learned
more about my equipment and improvisation than I ever could in the typical
club (where you still might not get paid and certainly wouldn't get such a
flexible weekend set.)

You never know until you try. I wouldn't recommend going into a
coffeehouse thinging you're going to rake in the cash, but if you find the
right one you can have a lot of fun and try some new things. looping and
ambeint work would seem to be ideal for this kind of an atmosphere and
while most owners won't see it that way if you break in and do well you
will have a chance to do more.

     HELP WANTED PRODUCTIONS - Http://www.voicenet.com/~legion
"Bringing you the best in Organic Electronic music since we started..."

Home of the Unusual Instrument and Recording Gallery with pictures and
info of Tube recorders, Omnichords, weird guitars, Casios, and more.