RE: Getting paid to play

Alas, I have avoided this question for now simply because I love doing the
work, and I know presently more efficient ways of keeping the power and
phone working. :)  So in terms of tips, or the like, in LA, from watching
my
friends go through situations with varying evolved forms of life known (for
lack of a better term) as clubowners, I suppose part of my brain was able
expect nothing in terms of money, so long as I'm in Los Angeles.  Folks I
suspect are too jaded even if they're NOT in the business, just being
immersed in it all the time, thus the relative "ho hum" factor, yes?

This of course only foreshadows trend mechanics in other parts of the
world,
though, thankfully, not as intensely as it is here.  So we all still have
places to go to be able to artistically express ourselves, is what matters.

My question wasn't about money.  It was more concerned with this use of the
word "showcase" even if it's being used by some guy whose place is less
than
a few months old.

Perhaps it's more this area, huh?  Kind of like, if you want someone to pay
attention to a screenplay, you'd better have it in the format expected as
'standard', else oblivion...?  Or perhaps, in terms of regular office PC
users, there are more than a few who, at some point, confuse the aspect of
Learning Their PC Stuff with Doing The Job One Was Hired For.  They feel
completely justified in being this way, because they perceive (however
incorrectly) that, if they don't learn the PC stuff, they'll eventually get
sacked.

Perhaps LA clubowners (or those as well in other 'sophisticated' parts of
the world) have a thing in this regard, whether they're new to the biz or
not... Kind of like everyone wanting to have an Internet hookup but not
knowing how...

For now I'm wondering - after 10 or so talks with owners, and the
discussion
here - whether I should concentrate on places with Net tieins, and leave
the
rest of it to the old schoolers.

Still, if I get money for this, it's a frigging gift from the audience or
circumstance, or just the whole buggar.

Stephen GoodmanÊ -Ê It's... The Loop Of The Week (Persis Khambatta)!
EarthLight StudiosÊ -Ê http://www.earthlight.net/Studios