Re: PUFFyisms

I see Puff daddy has been mentioned as a bad example  of people who use
samples
exstensively. That his music is not art , that it is theft etc. etc.
I think it`s inportant to see the big picture here , and that is what
ballpark the artist is playing in. He isn`t shooting for the same goal as
musicians like those on this list is.

He is comercial by intent. He tries to show the audience a good time and
lets that be a guiding aestetic in his creative choices. We can see that
in his videos , his clothes and interviews AND his sampling sources. And
there is nothing wrong with this. It`s just the opposite of the "weird is
great" lines of thought often demonstrated on this list.

When he samples a "golden oldie" like the Police it serves his purpose of
pleasing the audience. It can be defended from his musical standpoint of
giving his audience a good time. And it works; when people hear Summers
guitar-riff pumping out from the speakers they  might not know what or who
it was who played it originally , but they can feel the that they`ve heard
it before. The "I`ve heard this before" -factor is important in music ,
Beethoven knew this , Fripp knows this , and by gum Puff knows it

The only point that matters to me is this:  did the Police get payed when
he used their song? If they did than GO PUFFY GO PUFFY GO PUFFY.  :-)

Yours , Thomas

Feel free to check out my web-site:
http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Promenade/1628/