Re: collage (was:FNV-RIAA IS CRACKING DOWN)

>Whoa...Wed morning, pre-coffee mode and I find the most blisteringly
>attention-grabbing  discussion on this list on a while....
>Thomas, I'd consider "image" on a visual sense on par with "image" in an
>audio sense, so I don't see a real distinction.  Sampling a 5 second sound
>source from a commercially available CD is analagous to clipping out a
>corner of a Lichtenstein (haha!) poster and using that in a piece of
>"otherwise original" art and making and selling posters.  As far as the
>performance of a Mac being a selling point, I think the designers and
>marketing people had a creative "artistic" hand in its final appearance.
>Commercial art is a creative art form and so I could assume that again my
>artist friend was "stealing" from a commercial artist's design.

I think there is a distinction because audio-samples are the product
ITSELF. If you sample 5 seconds from a CD you taken the WHOLE product.
There is no distintion between your cd and your initial recording of the
cd(the sample). You can`t compare that to cutting out a piece of a poster
because a poster is not "viewed" the same way as a 5 minute song. A corner
of a a Picasso painting doesn`t do the same for the whole
"collage-painting" that , say , a Steve Gadd-groove does for a song. Even
if you sample someting which is NOT a part of a groove it`s still more
than a small part of the whole.

Sampling a groove and playing you own stuff on top of it could be compared
to getting a poster and painting on top of it. Using it as a canvas to lay
your own stuff on it. But it`s still the "Mona Lisa" in the background ,
if you know what I mean.

Yours , Thomas