PC MIDI Question..

        I realize this is not the right forum, but perhaps some folks
could help me out.  I'm pretty ignorant in the ways of MIDI.  I recently
acquired an ensoniq esq-1 and would like to loud sound set on it.  In
order to do that, I'll need a midi card for my computer.  Is there a super
cheap one that I can just use for this transfer of data and sysex dumps
and things of that nature?  what does that run? new/used?  Also, I see
AWE32 cards kicked around in conversation.  right now I'm using a 486 but
am planning on upgrading at some point w/in the year.  One of my main
purposes is music creation, editing, and recording.  PC or Mac?  (I know,
I know...an endless and useless debate, but...).  If I buy a soundcard now
should I expend the extra and get the "perfect" one that'll work both on
that machine and when I upgrade, or a temp fix?

                A number of vague questions, and to a certain extent I'm
thinking aloud, but if anyone's willing to throw me some thoughts, I'd
appreciate it.

                                thanks much,
                                             nick