Re: ASR-X Pro vs. MPC2000

You might want to be careful here.  Aside from the issues mentioned by
Laurie, both Roland and Akai are fairly protective of dealer territories.
 There's a lot of care taken by larger companies to keep asian business
in the asian dealer system, european business through european
distributors, etc.  While none of us probably care about the invisible
lines of demarkation set up by the electronis industry giants, it may
make getting service a bit of a problem at times.

Another thought:  While most of us are on limited budgets and want to get
the most for our money, I would encourage everyone to patrionize their
local music stores as much as possible.  I know that some retail goons
can be a real pain, but it's worth trying to find someone with whom you
can build a relationship.  I depend on being able to try gear extensively
before I buy it.  In recent years, I've seen a number of _good_ music
stores fold under the preasure from the big catalogs.  Most local dealers
will match price, so it's a good idea to buy from them, as it's usually
worth the extra money (ya gotta pay tax) to be able to have a
relationship with a person.  Hopefully, this person will be responsible
for getting prompt service with any problems that you might have, and
will be able to keep you abreast of all the latest gizzies.