Re: Echoplex SwitchQuant

At 3:02 AM -0700 9/20/98, future perfect wrote:
>What is the difference between CYC and CNF on the SwitchQuant parameter on
>the 'Plex? The manual just states that there is just 'off' and 'on'.
>
>Dave Eichenberger

I haven't finished that FAQ page yet, sorry...:-)

This is what it's going to say:

The SwitchQuant parameter lets you select whether loop switching happens
immediately or not. There are currently three values for this parameter.

SwitchQuant=Off
means that a press of the NextLoop button immediately sends you to the next
loop.
So if you are in loop 4, and press Next, you instantly jump to loop 5.

SwitchQuant=CYC
means that the Echoplex will wait until the current cycle finishes before
switching. For example, you record something in loop number 1. As the loop
is
playing, you press Next somewhere in the middle. The echoplex display will
show
"L 2", which tells you which loop you will be going to. Pressing Next again
shows
"L 3", and so on. When the end of the loop arrives, you jump to the one
displayed.

If you have used Multiply on the loop you are in, the echoplex will jump
to the
next loop at the end of the cycle in which you press Next. Say you have
Multiplied a loop to have 4 cycles (counting in the multiple display). You
press
Next during Multiple #2. Switching will occur at the end of multiple 2,
not the
end of the whole loop.

SwitchQuant=Cnf
"Cnf" stands for "confirm." In this mode, the echoplex goes into a waiting
period
when you press Next. It jumps to the loop shown in the display when you
"confirm"
that you want to switch. You do this be pressing the Undo button.

The point of this is you can more easily decide which loop you are
switching to
with confirm mode. You can continue to press NextLoop until the display
shows the
one you want, and then press Undo and go there. The current loop continues
play during this time. If you want to be executing a particular function
when you
go to the next loop (recording, overdubbing, copying, etc.) you can press
those
from the "ooo" waiting period.

example:
you are in loop 1, and want to switch to loop 7
you press Next, the display shows "ooo". Loop 1 continues to play.
you keep pressing Next until the display shows "L 7"
then you press Undo when want to switch, and you immediately go to loop 7.

If you want to have have a function like Record immediately start when you
go to
Loop 7, press that button instead of Undo. (so when it says "L 7" press
Record,
and you will immediately be recording in Loop 7.

With short loops this mode is helpful, because it gives you more time to
set
things up before the loop switch.

During the waiting periods for SwitchQuant=on and cnf, you have the
opportumity
to copy the current loop's audio or time base into the loop you are going
to.
This is explained in the manual under SwitchQuant, and is done with the
multiply
and insert buttons, repectively.

kim